Thursday, June 9, 2011

testing one, two. testing. is this thing on?




after a few days in the hospital, my dads right foot was completely purple, cold and in a lot of pain. An emergency surgery was in order. the doctors explained the dangers of the surgery because of the blood thinner meds he is on and the complications due to his health. they had no choice but to go ahead with the surgery, his foot was at stake. my mom and family thought this might be it for dad. of course the hospital fucked up and fed my dad more shitty food when he should of been prepped for surgery. we had to sit around and wait about 9 hours for the food to pass through his system before they can begin. all 7 of us and my mom helped wheel his bed down to the surgery room. we said good bye and crossed our fingers. we had burgers that night, waited 3 hours and heard a phone ring in the waiting room. my mom ran to it and they said, "is this mrs. givens?" she said yes, is my little honey ok? he was fine, he survived and after an 8 inch clot was removed from his leg, he was ready to relax for now, as were we.

i booked a flight to portland and was expected to fly back with emma just for 2 days to take care of the farm and move things out of my room for sublet. on my way to the airport i find out dad had to go in for another foot surgery, the clot was back, the foot looked worse then before! my dad and family told me to go and take care of things, they told me he would be fine. i landed at midnight, and quinne met me at home to talk. i got a phone call from my mom, then my sister helen, then of course mike. they said he is fine, but the clots are so bad, there is nothing they can do. they can't even amputate because he would bleed to death. so now what? i fly home as soon as i finish harvest and went to the hospital to talk to doctors. my dads oncologist came by and the surgeon to tell my dad and family that he is out of options. we were advised to look into hospice care and that his foot would eventually die and turn gang green, in turn killing my father within 3 weeks. we were shocked!! what do you mean you can't help him?! i interviewed hospice folks and felt good about trinity hospice here in the south bay. they got us out of there and set up at home within a few hours, my dad couldn't wait to go home, home for his final weeks. it took 4 dudes to get my dad up the stairs in a chairlift, he is a heavy fella. it just got harder from here on out. it was on, my mom and i became instant nurses over night for the next 2 weeks, we had no choice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment