Wednesday, June 1, 2011

the call. the roast. the trip back


The day was May 19th, 2011. It was a sunny Portland day, one of the first of the season, which means everyone is frolicking about, wearing shorts and sleeveless shirts probably going to brunch, or planting a garden, or opening a food cart or saving the world, just another day in Portland. I on the other hand was days away from putting on a huge foodie event called 'Spring Pig', a pig roast benefit to support the Portland Farmers Market. My intern Josh and i were so gitty that day! We were on our way to the kitchen that held our beautiful 140 pound pig for the roast. We made 12 quarts of a spicy sweet rub and couldn't wait to get our hands on that pig! We made a stop at New Seasons Market to pick up some extra rub ingredients just in case we needed more. Just as we parked, i get a call from my brother mike. I knew something was wrong. All i remember is mike saying, "sweetie, dad is sick" he was crying so bad i couldn't hear much, just bits and pieces, "cancer, 6 months". My mother was screaming a bunch of greek in the backround, i pictured her on her hands and knees, doing her cross and being out of control. (i've seen it before...) all i remember is locking myself in my truck, shaking, not wanting to believe it.

After talking to my dad and family later that day, they convinced me to go ahead with the pig event that weekend and then to think about coming home. My father is my best friend, so i decided to shut down the farm for the summer and move back home to L.A to take care of him. my brother Mike picked me up from the airport and didn't tell anyone i was coming. i walked up the stairs quietly, turned the corner and met eyes with my dad. we started to cry, i will never forget that look on his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment